Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thunder John: Absence of Pushups (makes the biceps grow fonder)

9/23/2010

73,925 pushups completed
926,075 pushups to go
1,088 pushups ahead of schedule

Dear Friends,

Did you feel something missing last week? 9/11 - 9/13 to be exact? There was a disturbance in the force. It was as if two biceps suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. Yes, that's right: three days, zero pushups.

In my last blog post I described the Burrito Union 10 hour triathlon I was about to participate in with my chums Swadley and AndyV. We completed 8 triathlons, which means I had to run 27.2 miles (8 x 3.4 miles). It was cold, it was rainy, I had a sinus infection, but our team pulled through and managed a 3rd place showing in our age division. Our team name was "Carl, Karl and Qarl". Check out the standings in this link, we're in the 3 person relay male division:

www.burritounion10hourtri.com/2010_bydiv.pdf

Anyway, it was a rough ride. I did not do any pushups on the day of the event. On the following two days, my legs were so sore that they could not support my body weight in the perfect pushup position. Thunder John will not abide a substandard pushup. "Unacceptable!" I have been known to yell when I see a stooped back, crooked knee, or other such sloppily performed pushups on passersby. Therefore, if I can't perform a pushup properly, then I will not perform pushups.

So I had three days of zero pushups. I was in purgatory. Not quite hell as I still had memories of pushups performed in days past; feeding off of those memories like a bactrian camel sustains hmself by the nutrients stored in his mighty hump. Surviving hour to hour, each tick of the clock an eternity. I knew that some day I would return to perfect pushup form, but at that time it was pure misery. I am no dromedary good sir! Return me to my rightful throne as Thunder John, prince of pushups. As you can see, I went a little mad, and it has not quite worn off yet.

Finally on 9/14, I was able to do acceptable pushups. For the next 6 days I did 375 per day, 100 more than the average needed to attain one million pushups in 10 years. I was back on pace, and feeling like a man once again.

That ordeal was a fate I do not wish on my worst enemy.

A quick note on Superior, WI, where the 10 hour triathlon was held: it is a forsaken hell hole, but it does contain the best sporting goods store east of the Mississippi. "Thundersports!" my goodness, what a majestic name. What a sign! Please enjoy this picture of me (below) in front of the Thundersports retail outlet in downtown Superior, WI. I only hope they sell Timbersports equipment, or at least a pushups girdle.

Peace Out,

Thunder John

"bringin' the thunder, packin' the pain, loaded with pushups, makin' it rain"

ps - Just to be clear, Thunder John does not wear a pushups girdle or any sort of girdle at any time. I don't know even if said product exists, but if the time comes when an octogenarian Thunder John should need a girdle to perform his pushups, then a girdle I SHALL WEAR!

Just enjoy the picture:



No comments:

Post a Comment