Friday, September 10, 2010

Thunder John "Motorin'... What's your price for flight?"

September 10, 2010

70,275 pushups completed
929,725 pushups to go
1,272 pushups ahead of schedule

Greetings pushups fans. Thunder John here. Might I add a hearty "Assalaamu alaykum" to my muslim followers. Sorry about that sword fighter dude and the way Indiana Jones just shot him dead in the street. So casual, so callous, that wasn't very sporting and I've always said that crossed the line. Now maybe the healing can begin.

Right now I'm traveling in my friend Swad's Jeep Wrangler (Unlimited!) with Swad and our mutual friend / triathlete AndyV. Starting from Wheaton, IL we are blasting across the alkali flats of Wisconsin all the way to the NW corner of the state, a saint's whisper from Minnesota, to race the "Burrito Union 10 Hour Triathlon" in Superior, WI. This is an 8 hour drive. Fitting in my prescribed 275 pushups can be quite challenging on this type of day. I did 75 before leaving my house, and 75 when we stopped for lunch. My traveling compatriots saw fit to make fun of my pushup form in the parking lot... "come on, Thunder J, go ALL the way down". "You call that a pushup?" Please. My chest touches the ground so much I've developed a callous on my sternum.

All the while they were crackin' wise, do you think either of them made a move? Those two are all bluster, just frontin' to try and bring me down to their level. No, these pushups are transcendent and I will not scrabble around in the muck with the likes of them. Well, literally I guess I will since I was doing the pushups in a Road Ranger parking lot. But whatever.

The event we are travelling to is a 10 hour triathlon which we are competing in as a relay team. As many circuits as we can do on the following triathlon course: 700 meter swim, 14 mile bike, and 5k run. We aspire to complete 8 or 9 loops. Each team member must do one leg of each triathlon - swim, bike or run. I'll be doing probably all of the running. It should be interesting. It goes without saying that while the other two are biking / swimming, I will be doing my pushups. No rest for Thunder John. No sleep 'til Brooklyn.

Please enjoy this swell picture of me doing pushups in the Road Ranger Parking lot.







Peace Out,



Thunder John



"Bringin' the thunder, packing the pain, loaded with pushups, makin' it RAIN."

1 comment: